Northrop Grumman X-4 Bantam 1/32 Scale Mahogany Model
Introducing the ready-built CX4T Desktop Model. This 1/ scale model was handmade with precision and accuracy to produce the finest model that will be the centerpiece of your collection for years to come. This model is a perfect gift for pilots and aviation enthusiasts alike. Not too big or too small, this model features a wingspan of 9.75 inches and a length of 10.25 inches. This model features a very accurate paint scheme with realistic panel lines.
The X-4 Bantam is an aircraft designed and built by Northrop Aircraft Inc for NACA (now NASA). It is a single-place, low swept-wing and semi-tailless and had no horizontal tail surfaces. The X-4 emphasizes the importance of tail surfaces for proper control effectiveness in the transonic speed range and was also used to investigate the characteristic problems of tailless airplanes at low speeds, such as marginal longitudinal stability and control.
The X-4 Bantam's mission was to obtain in-flight data on the stability and control of semi-tailless aircraft at high subsonic speeds. X-4 Bantam's maiden flight was on December 16, 1948, piloted by Charles Tucker. The X-4 is powered by two Westinghouse XJ-30 turbojet engines with 1,600 lb of thrust each, boosting the X-4's speed up to 620 mph and up to altitudes of 40,000 ft. The Northrop X-4 Bantam was a small twin-jet airplane that had no horizontal tail surfaces, depending instead on combined elevator and aileron control surfaces for control in pitch and roll attitudes. The first X-4 was delivered to Muroc Air Force Base, California, in November 1948. It underwent taxi tests and made its first flight on December 15, 1948. However, it turned out to be mechanically unreliable and made only ten flights. The second X4 proved far more reliable. Both aircraft were later turned over to the US Air Force and the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics.
The final project for the X-4 took place on September 29, 1953. The first X 4 was then transferred to the United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado, before being returned to Edwards Air Force Base. The second X-4 went to the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, Ohio, where it remains on display.