Douglas C-124C Globemaster 1/100 Scale Mahogany Model
Introducing the ready-built AC124T Desktop Model. This 1/100 scale model was handmade with precision and accuracy to produce the finest model that will be the centerpiece of your collection for years to come. This model is a perfect gift for pilots and aviation enthusiasts alike. Not too big or too small, this model features a wingspan of 21 inches and a length of 15.5 inches. This model features a very accurate paint scheme with realistic panel lines.
This collectible model represents the C-124C Globemaster II, a heavy-lift aircraft that lived up to its name through the 1950s and 1960s, serving from Antarctica to Africa to Alaska. Affectionately known as Old Shakey, the C-124 was the militarys main heavy lifter until the advent of the all-jet C-141 Starlifter in the 1960s. Painstakingly built from Philippine mahogany by skilled craftsmen using a wealth of detail, this 1/100-scale model C-124C Globemaster II makes a great gift for any veteran, pilot, aviation enthusiast or history buff.
The C-124 was developed from an earlier Douglas design, the C-74 Globemaster, from 1047 to 1949. A huge aircraft, the C-124 was 130 feet long with a wingspan of 174 feet. Powered by four Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major engines of 3,800 horsepower each, the Globemaster II could carry up to 68,500 pounds of cargo at speeds of up to 320 mph.
Developed with lesson learned from the Berlin Airlift, the Globemaster II had clamshell door in the nose, with the flight deck located above the cargo space for efficient loading. The C-124 also featured a hydraulic ramp in the nose, as well as a cargo elevator under the aft fuselage. It could carry up to 200 troops on its two decks, or heavy equipment such as tanks, trucks or artillery. The aircraft was so large that engineers could enter the wings in flight wearing a mask to protect themselves from exhaust fumes to perform maintenance on the inboard engines.
This C-124C variant of Globemaster II was built by Douglas Aircraft Corporation at Long Beach, California, and delivered to the U.S. Air Force on May 4, 1955. The aircraft was assigned to the 15th Air Transport Squadron (Heavy) of the Military Air Transport Service (MATS) operating out of Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.
Deliveries of the C-124 began in 1950 and ended in 1955, with a production run of 448 aircraft. The last Air Force C-124 was retired in 1974.